Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   998 / 996 / 916 / 748 (/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   What's Shimming? (/showthread.php?t=19784)

748IOM 17-Jul-2005 14:57

What\'s Shimming?

Just been reading some websites about servicing Ducati's and I was just wondering what Shimming was?

They refer to price depending on how much shimming is required?

rockhopper 17-Jul-2005 15:08

Its for setting the valve clearances. You do this by measuring the gap then replacing the existing shim with a new one of the desired thickness to achieve the correct gap. Your bike has 16 of them and they need checking and adjusting every so often. 12,000 miles is it?

[Edited on 17-7-2005 by rockhopper]

748IOM 17-Jul-2005 20:46

No its only 7300 miles at the mo, I need to get the belts changed and I was just looking into doing it myself as I'd like to save the money and I'd also like to be able to maintain the bike myself.

Don't know how feasible or realistic that is but that would be my ideal.

rockhopper 17-Jul-2005 20:53

I'm not sure what the interval is for valve clearances to be honest but when you have them done make sure that they take the cam shafts out as well and inspect the rockers.

In theory its not that hard to do it yourself although its a job that gets easier the more times you do it plus you wont have a stock of shims so you will have to order them and then if you get it wrong you will have to do it all again plus you risk damaging the engine.

fatduke11111 18-Jul-2005 12:18

..you could look here and this will give you an idea of the shim packs (especially if you are going to do it a lot).

http://kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?...seite&seite=29

AK 18-Jul-2005 12:27

Alan recently brought a shim kit from spareshack & has successfully done 2 bikes so far, & is now happy to tackle the aircooled engined bikes for all manner of things.
Rockers & cams he inspects when the bikes come in as well as clearances (unless new, like mine was) & then does his 'own' service record for them

C:cool: