Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   999 / 749 (/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Brake problems??? (/showthread.php?t=14445)

Twinfan 20-Feb-2005 22:31

Brake problems???

Seeing as how there are now a couple of people with brake problems on this board, I thought I'd start a new thread.

Has anyone had a problem on their 999/749 with the master cylinder and/or other brake related parts? I'd be interested to hear how widespread the issue is.

Cheers!

Loz 20-Feb-2005 22:59

I get a slight stickiness on the front brake of my 2003 999S. This always frees off after a couple hundred yards, but I will be monitoring even closer now after your experience, Twinfan!
I spoke to my dealer at the last service - a bit of copper grease on the brake pad pins was apparently the answer, but I have not done enough miles yet to confirm that this is the answer in my case.
If there's more to tell in the future, I'll be sure to mention it.

spartacus 20-Feb-2005 23:23

Well, just as I posted on the last thread really.... brakes decided to stick on while i was riding, bus driver told me i'd best check my brakes as they were glowing.... this shortly after the front end compressed and i almost came to a grinding halt... fortunately i didn't come off or i wouldn't have been impressed.
But i'm hoping it's just a matter of needing some copper grease on the brake pad pins like Loz, i should get round to looking at it this week i hope (no, i must... need it for work again the week after)

TP 20-Feb-2005 23:26

Guys, if you've suffered symptoms remotely similar to what the two blokes who've been down the road have suffered, get the bikes to your dealers and cite this thread!!!

GsxrAge 20-Feb-2005 23:33

my cousin has a 749 he on manovers in Norway and wiill be itching to ride his when he gets back this week.
So I have sent him email to warn him.

spartacus 20-Feb-2005 23:49

well i've just read the post that TP-996 is on about.... Oh dear...
http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...6381#pid145842
My bike is also a MY2004 bike from Ducati Manchester at the end of May.... and i've experienced the exact same symptoms, except i was lucky enough not to be thrown off...
Guess i'd better ring them on tuesday since I think they're shut on Monday's.... bummer:(

[Edited on 20-2-2005 by spartacus]

ericthered40 21-Feb-2005 00:09

I can’t believe this, doesn’t sound right to me
I don’t think I’ve heard of brakes sticking to this level only requiring a little grease on the pins.
Don’t ride it and get some professional advice (that might not be from the dealer if that’s what they told you)

:puzzled::puzzled:

Twinfan 21-Feb-2005 10:27

The problem seems to be master cylinder related - greasing pins won't help. They would free off easily is they stuck too. My brakes locked so hard the bike just stopped dead in it's tracks.

spartacus - DM are closed today but will be open tomorrow. I get the feeling Darren is going to get a few calls...

andyb 21-Feb-2005 10:39

It really wants clarifying exactly what parts are the same on what bikes.

Are all the models of the 749-999 for the whole range?

Do they all use the same master cylinder?

What about calipers, are they the same apart from the radial ones on the Rs?

jobr 21-Feb-2005 10:45

Good point by andyb as it is now becomming a bit worrying I am sure for all 749/999 owners.