Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   851 / 888 (/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Cylinder stud help please (/showthread.php?t=79477)

phil_h 19-May-2009 19:45

Cylinder stud help please

My 851 engine rebuild saga continues ...
So there I am happily fitting the new rings that have finally arrived after months of waiting, and I realise that I've not put the cylinder studs back in yet.
No probs I think ... then realise that I never bought a stud puller to use to torque them up properly (one of the reasons studs fail is cause they havnt been torqued properly).
No probs you think too, just go and buy a stud thingy ... except I have, and they dont fit WAISTED studs :(

So, how do you properly torque up waisted studs ?
Please ?
(I have 6 ducati manuals and none of them even mention cylinder studs !)

Scooter916 19-May-2009 20:16

Phill not somthing that I have ever come across, Studs having to be torqued must be a ducati thang.
But if I had to do it I would tighten a couple of nuts against eachother and torque using the top nut.
Glyn

nelly 19-May-2009 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter916
But if I had to do it I would tighten a couple of nuts against eachother and torque using the top nut.
Glyn

ditto that :)

Jools 19-May-2009 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooter916
if I had to do it I would tighten a couple of nuts against eachother and torque using the top nut.
Glyn

Yep, I've got to do that on the 'zorst manifold studs and that's the way I'm going to torque them

burtsp5 21-May-2009 23:58

Hi Jools, see you're having a debate re. your studs, locking nuts is about the only way but, if just be careful that the studs are not bottoming out so all you're going to do is force them into the casting and secondly,if the studs are just part threaded without a step in them you're going to just pull them in deeper. I'm not sue what the studs are like on your engine.
Finally, are they tightened with an actual torge figure or an angle x2 or 3 or degree figure,?
umm i'd give Geoff Baines at Baines racing at Silverstone a call as he did my engine some years back.
Trust alls well.