Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Sport Touring: ST4 / ST3 / ST2 (/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   ST2 starting problem (/showthread.php?t=237113)

milli 16-Aug-2013 14:49

ST2 starting problem

hi all my st2 has a starting problem. starts fine most of the time. when I stop put fuel in go in pay. then back to back turn key nothing no noise at all everything lights up. after about 5 mins wait she goes. did think the side stand switch but not sure now. does only seem to be when the engine is hot. hope you lot can help milli.

dunlop0_1 16-Aug-2013 15:41

Sounds like a basic wiring/connector fault contact/no contact etc. You can link out the side stand switch with a short piece of wire to eliminate it. :D

milli 16-Aug-2013 18:28

strange thing is it only happens when the bike is hot. never had a problem any other time. suppose I should eliminate the side stand switch.

skidlids 16-Aug-2013 21:07

Not sure how to read your post
Is it like this

Quote:

Originally Posted by milli
turn key nothing no noise at all everything lights up.

followed by

Quote:

after about 5 mins wait she goes.

Or do we read it like this

Quote:

turn key nothing no noise at all

followed by

Quote:

everything lights up. after about 5 mins wait she goes

milli 17-Aug-2013 08:10

switch on with key, lights come on. press starter and nothing even happens on centre stand .

dunlop0_1 17-Aug-2013 08:19

You need to check the two wires/connector that goes to the starter solenoid. When you press the starter button this energises the solenoid thus the starter. If the bike will bump start when the problem happens then you may have found your problem.

skidlids 17-Aug-2013 17:21

If lights come on that should rule out the ignition switch and the ignition relay

Does the fuel pump prime, if so main suspects are right hand switch gear (start button), start Solenoid or the starter motor itself, the brushes in these do wear down, also the commutator wears and if the oil seal goes the commutator ends up frying in oil