Ducati Sporting Club UK

Ducati Sporting Club UK (/msgboard.php)
-   Supersports: SS / SuperSport / Supersport 950 (/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   28 Ah battery (/showthread.php?t=384009)

Nat1975 10-Mar-2015 21:16

28 Ah battery

Hi all, just bought a 1993 900ss. Joined this forum as I'm going to need lots of advice.
First bit of advice needed is regarding the battery. Mines finished. Charged the battery, multimeter said 12.63 volts a couple of days ago. Tried to start the bike tonight and it only turned over three or four times, then nothing.
So, new battery. I found one from Eurocar parts. (Which I have an account with)
Exide Y60-n24l-a this has 28Ah. Is this to much? Or is it the more Ah you have, the better?

Cheers, Nat.

skidlids 10-Mar-2015 23:08

Fully charged should be 13.2 volts but 12.63v isn't to bad but that's only unloaded and it looks like loading yours soon drags the volts down
16Ah is normally enough for most Ducatis as it's standard on many from the 90's, i would have thought 28Ah would be physically to big a battery

Nat1975 11-Mar-2015 19:37

Just compared measurements. Your right, much to big.
So, any recommendations on which battery to buy. Want to stick with lead acid and not the gel type (something I read on here)

skidlids 11-Mar-2015 22:56

I think it was a Odyssey battery everyone use to recommend

Not cheap but everyone that had one swore by them

http://www.tayna.co.uk/Odyssey-Batteries-S73-1.html

Iconic944ss 12-Mar-2015 08:49

Give the lads at MDS battery a shout, they sorted me an uprated acid battery out years ago a YTX series if I remember...

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...uctGroupID=839

I think it was the one above but easier to phone as tech has moved on...

Nat1975 12-Mar-2015 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
Give the lads at MDS battery a shout, they sorted me an uprated acid battery out years ago a YTX series if I remember...

http://www.mdsbattery.co.uk/shop/pro...uctGroupID=839

I think it was the one above but easier to phone as tech has moved on...

Thanks for that. Will ring them tomorrow.
The Odyssey one is a bit rich for me. I need to spend wisely on my new toy as it needs quite a bit doing to it.

Cheers, Nat.

Fruitbat 18-Mar-2015 13:32

Motobatt seem well regarded as a value for money gel battery, sold by M&P amongst others. Will be one I'll consider when the current Westco AGM item finally expires (tho that could be a while yet as it just seems to keep on keeping on).
At the other extreme I had a 18ah lighweight Shorai in my Hyper, the cost of which I justified to myself by the 2.5kg+(?) weight saving from a location high up in the tail. None available in the UK when I was looking 4 years ago so I had one sent over from the States by a mate. Cheaper than buying in the UK but still not inexpensive - but I reckon it's good value as it's a superb bit of kit.
You seem to need a dedicated charger (not a trickle charger) but that's not really an issue as it's happy to hibernate for five months over the winter without a top up. Once you've woken it up by putting a light load on it for a minute or so it's good to go.