View Single Post
Old 25-Oct-2005, 20:55
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
As Sponsorship/Marketing manager for one of the Worlds top Downhill mountain bike companies ( we've won the World Cup 3 times out of last 5 years) I'm used to working with riders/sponsors and fans and have a fairly clear idea of what I consider successful to the brand I work for which is very similar to Ducati being a UK based, very high end, small volume manufacturer and fighting the might of the "big" companies every weekend. Ducati are a marque with loyal fans and the team/riders should inspire the fans despite the results. Don't get me wrong, results are important but Ducati fans know they are up against the might of the big Japanese factories and I'd think most of us accept that no matter who the rider ( with the exception of Vale) is its more than likely they won't win every weekend. Sete might be a good rider, undoubtedly he has ability but his personality wouldn't inspire me to buy a bike or remain loyal to Ducati. The brand needs riders who have that special something, Marco is getting there as is Nicky Hayden and Ducati should be looking for that star quality not going for an old timer who, as can be seen from this thread, is now a faded star. Capirex gives them the stability they should get a rider a alongside him who can benefit from that but at the same time bring enthusiasm and determination, when you're young the hunger to win is a lot stronger as Marco proved last weekend.