View Single Post
Old 10-Nov-2006, 17:24
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Motociclismo article on 1098

Here is an extract from the Motociclismo magazine article thread (courtesy of the Ducati MS forum), where they seem a little better informed than most.

Motociclismo test the new Ducati 1098
Our Federico Aliverti reports exclusively on the Ducati 1098 at Monza.

“I have never ridden a production Ducati that is so fast and manageable.
When turning in it feels like a 600, but when opening the throttle you are reminded that you’re on a real, mean 1100, the power delivery is expolosive (a ‘bomb’) but I was expecting that because IMO ‘Borgo Panigale’ make the best twin cylinder motors in the world: smooth, low down up to 1500rpm, strong mid-range especially above 7000rpm, and the top-end power, above 10000rpm is of industrial strength!
The cycleparts however really blew me away. Handling is not like the classic user-friendly 999 neither is it like the highly effective, super-sporty, but a bit wooden, 998.
For me the 1098 is an all new concept of riding style for Ducati. The first ‘Red’ to really offer a 100% modern ride; Quick, precise turn-in, light as a feather, excellent stability, short and compact but equally comfortable. And the sound of that motor… When I hit 291kmh at the end at the straight at Monza it felt like the rear wheel was ripping the asphalt off the track with every gear-shift; One finger on the front brake lever provided enough stopping power to risk throwing me over the front! These 330mm discs are by far the best brakes I have ever tried on a production bike, but one problem I noticed under medium braking at high speed (over 150kmh) is that there is an annoying vibration through the clip-ons. I also noticed a few other ‘peculiarities’ on the 1098 but don’t make me say everything yet, it will be a surprise that will be revealed in the Moticlclismo article on 17 November.”

Note the speed the test rider obtained on the straight anyone?