View Single Post
Old 01-Nov-2006, 19:20
Big Twin

OK, initial impressions: not that favourable, really.

Jeez they're agricultural aren't they? I was surprised by the amount of vibration, although I suppose I shouldn't be with a litre (near enough) twin. Felt much like I imagined an old BMW R100 would feel (not that I've ridden one).

And the headlights are AWFUL! I'm hoping that this may be partially improved by tilting the unit up a bit more: it just doesn't go far enough anywhere near at the moment. Dipped beam lights about 5 paces away, main beam adds another couple of paces. And in fact main beam gave up altogether half-way home. maybe increased vibration from bigger pistons means more blown bulbs, I don't know. But I never replaced a main beam bulb in 60k miles on the 748, I know that. Truth is the 748/916 lights are often criticised, but they are like a set of Klieg lamps compared to these.

Generally the bike didn't seem that comfortable in low-speed traffic.

I know people say, it'll be fine once you get on the open road, but in winter commuting, every journey you do is in the dark, and you know how car drivers mimsey along when it gets dark. Often there *is* no 'open road'. In my 30 mile journey, I barely exceeded 40 mph.