View Single Post
Old 18-Dec-2005, 22:02
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Im not sure Ducatis problems are all in their Hands,theres other problems looming up that are greater than brand image etc.
although I dont like the look of the 749/999 if you look at the new jap bikes they are using design clues from these bikes minimilist rears etc so the look will slowly be fashionable.
I think their problems lie in the age group of their customers and the impending restrictions on new motorcyclists,most of Ducatis owners have tasted or own jap bikes as well and can afford the unrealistic labour and servicing times.
new riders are not going to fork out for bikes that are in general 50% cheaper than the equivalent Ducati.
take the GSXR 600/R6 goodtrack bikes excellent road bikes plenty about cheap replacment parts if you drop it on track days, long service intervals and plenty of dealers local to most.
Its a throw away scociety and most young riders want a cheap performance bike and will rather spend £3000 on a fairly new bike than £4500 on a 4 year old Ducati with all its inherant servicing costs.
the crunch is I bought a Ducati this time because I could'nt afford one 20 years ago and I dont think Ducati can wait this long this time round.
As for customer service I dont think Ducati Main Dealers will ever match BMW.
Would a Ducati dealer match this when I bought my BCR,a test bike for the day which I put 300 miles on a years warranty/rescue, spares within 2 days 10 dealers in the top 20 RIDE survey, £220.00 for 6000 mile service including RT1200 fully blinged for the day.
I dont think the 'Brand' is in decline but their sales definately will be.
ian