View Single Post
Old 22-Nov-2003, 22:50

Mood: variable
I got the test ride today.

After moving the handlebars to suit myself I found it to be one of the best riding positions I`ve tried, including the Triumph Speed Triple.

The power delivery was good and even when I deliberately let the revs done to 2,000 the transmission judder was was almost negligable (not what I expected from previous experience). I kept it in 5th most of the time as I was cruising around 60/70mph and 6th felt a little to high (fine when on the bypass though).

I did intend to do the Gala / Penicuik route but ended up on around trip to Galashiels ( a bit nippy down there ). The roads were a mix of wet and dry with the sun shining in my face through a road spray covered visor, perfect ( not).

On the way down the bike was reluclant to turn which I put down to it being two up and the suspension left as I picked it. When we reached Gala my partner got of and sent me away to play by myself. The bike now flowed better in the bends but felt a little hard ( I weigh around 12 stone ) so I backed it of 2 clicks once I found the adjuster, much better on the way back to retrieve partner.

The rear suspension was turned back to standard plus 2 clicks harder for the run back to Edinburgh ( my partner is no heavy weight so the suspension adjustment must be fairly fine ), a big improvement on the run down when the bike was moving in the corners, so I stopped and added another 2 clicks, now we were in the right ball park, the front felt a little hard moving on ripples in the surface ( nothing major ),
I`m positive that with a little set up time that would disappear (the tyres may even have been a pound or two done as it was bloomin cold).

The mirrors were almost useless and would have tobe changed if I were to buy one.
The seat was okay until we were almost back to Edinburgh, approx 70 miles, but by that time on the Thunderbird my backside would be begging for a rest.
As far as the screen goes it was not a problem up to 80mph, never took it any further, but I would probably try a higher one anyway ( never happy ).

Despite what I`ve just written I am confident that if it were my own bike I could sort the suspension to my liking, having played with the KTM I know what a difference a few clicks can make.

Stange thing about the instuments was that they were reading the miles the bike had covered on the way down but fuel consumption ( 47 average ) on the way back up and I am fairly sure I didn`t touch anything.

I was real comfy with the riding position up front but things were not going so well on the back, as we were going through Newtongrange I enquired as to my partners well being, I`m still here was the reply ( not good ). She found that she was being tipped forward in the seat ( she is 5` 11" ) and the footrest were not in a good position for her, the KTM was preferable for riding pillion ( we have only done 60 mile 2 up on the KTM ), and the vibrations in the derrier were not welcome.

Conclusion,

It is like a long legged Supermoto (compliment ) and almost what I was looking for, I had hoped to use it for touring holdays 2 up, but that is a none starter ( looks like a king and Queen seat for the Thunderbird ) for us.

When we left the shop last week the plan was to sell the KTM and my partners SV650 to finance the Multistrada, as long as she got her noisey pipes, but after the test ride the SV stays ( she is a Ducati fan and was disapointed that it did not work out).

Buying new is out of the question and I still have to justify to myself at least £2500 over what I can expect for my KTM for the Demo bike.

I liked it ( a lot ) but the KTM is good for trackdays and I can see a few sleepless night ahead.

Luckywhiteheather, keefyboy and Ian thankyou for help and time, it has been much appreciated.
(please excuse spelling and gramatical errors)