View Single Post
Old 12-May-2013, 21:43
Bevel Head
Bikes: Ducati 748r-853r / SF 1098s

Mood: ...much happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
The Oberon stuff is pretty good. Nicely made and not too expensive.
I wouldn't get drawn into the claims of how much lighter they make the clutch though. The ones claiming big reductions can cause secondary issues though.....Because its a hydraulic system, the lightened action comes about from a bigger bore cylinder.....this reduces the piston travel and hence the amount the pressure plate moves. Too little and you get clutch drag. If you have a small reach and run the lever close to the bar, this is exaggerated.

There are a couple of other options if lightening the clutch is your sole intention. You can remove two springs from the clutch...opposite ones so the plate stays balanced. Not my favourite tion, but it works and the 748 doesn't tax the clutch too much.
The other option is to get a set of springs and caps off a later bike like the M1100 or Hyper. Ducati have lightened these to make the clutch more acceptable. Probably not as light as the first two options though.

Thanks for the heads up Nelly... appreciated. I've decided to fork out for an Oberon Slave Cylinder, after conversations with various folk including Ron Parkinsons.