View Single Post
Old 28-Oct-2004, 12:41
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Henners
Following a complaint to the MRO the racer who attacked Francis has been admonished. In addition, the racer has lost his nomination for MRO Sportsman of the Year for which he was a leading contender - this award has previously been won by Hailwood, Duke and Sheene. It is a great shame that a moments recklessness has caused so much upset for so many people.

Well that is a good result really, it's good to see people being supported by the system. It's when that doesn't happen that the level of injustice increases and people take matters into there own hands.

I struggle to understand how he got there. I can understand people getting upset because they perceive other people to be cheating. I know I am extremely competitive (sometimes in an understated way ..) I've been there myself and in different situations. On the rugby pitch you can dispense your own little bit of justice and that is largely considered acceptable but I also played basketball to a reasonably high level and if we lost it cost us money, so we were keen to see cheating get dealt with quickly. I remember myself (I was only 14 though in my defence) walking over to belt some bloke after a game because he was blatantly cheating and getting away with it.

But in front of his wife and little tacker? In very poor taste and you would have expected a bit of 'communal' justice to be meted out.