View Single Post
Old 07-Nov-2006, 13:01
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham
thanks for the info.
another question / how far thro the top yokes should the front shocks be thro my ones are flush but from all the pictures they should be dropped down ,is there a workshope mannual avalible?

Mine are flush. The only reason to drop the front end a little (ie: have the top of the forks raised above the yokes) is if you really can't get on with the speed that the bike steers

There are three routes that you can go to speed up the steering, either raise the back end, lower the front end or a bit of both.

Most people suggest raising the back end first and there are adaptors that you can fit to each leg of the rear suspension hoop to raise the ride height. They come up regularly on eBay and I'm sure that you would track them down by doing a search on this forum.

You may want to lower the front instead of raising the back. The downside is that you will lose the same amount of ground clearance that you drop the forks by and if you overdo it, there's a chance that you will use up all the clearance between the wheel and the radiator under full compression of the suspension. As always, it's a compromise but I have seen and ridden bikes with the front end dropped by 10mm that have no problems at all with clearance.

As I say, you could do both, but again it's a compromise between quick steering and the bike getting a little flighty.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^