View Single Post
Old 10-Feb-2005, 00:15
500SD

Hi Simon

The Ohlins FG9050 forks fitted to the SP4 are notorious for having 'leaky' seals, and more often than not it is the L/H seal from which the oil escapes (don't know why this should be!). However, since your bike has been standing idle for a while, I'd advise you to be patient and put a couple of hundred miles on it before replacing them - because it can, and very often does, stop of its own accord. I know this from experience! (Ohlins' own brand fork oil is also horrendously expensive. Much more so than the seals themselves. My local dealer quoted me £30 per fork leg!) Most owners have the forks re-sprung, and this 'softens' the ride. This has been done to my own bike, and the ride is now very supple - much more so than the Strada. Steering head angle is different too on the SP, and this makes it much quicher steering.

The brakes are full floaters and, as Monty said, should be top notch. I'd advise you to replace all the obvious things which may have 'aged' and then see what you think. The brakes on my own bike are well up to the job - even the back one works! (although I have to say that the front discs have less initial 'bite' than the bog-standard equipment on the Strada).

Lifespan of the timing belts is about two years/6000mls - whichever comes the sooner. I changed the belts on my own bike within a week of me buying it, and was glad I did. I found the old ones had slackened to such an extent I could almost pull them off the pulleys. Amazingly though, the bike was still running beautifully! The job was simple enough, and without any special equipment, took me around 3hrs from start to finish. The latest belts are Kevlar reinforced, so are more durable. (These belts can be identified by their red lettering. Cost me about £60/pair inc VAT).

Suspension settings are dependant on so many variables that it's hardly worth giving advice. I do have the 'stock' figures given in the Owner's Manual though - so if you need these let me know.

Steve