View Single Post
Old 06-Apr-2005, 20:20
Mille

Mood: Meditating
It’s a bit strange really, I expected to pick-up the low tension ignition and then instruct the unit that it was a twin (or four) cylinder. But, there is no provision for that. Instead you have to work out at what revs you want the red lights to illuminate, then rev the engine to half of that value and press the programme button. Thus it calibrates the rev scale to read this value at half full-scale deflection.

I set mine to 10,000 rpm, since occasionally in the lower gears there is some time lag from hitting that value and changing gear, but it does mean that the rev scale is now 0 to 10,000rpm. In practice it works well with the quickshifter, good fast changes at a consistent rpm value using the very bright change lights.

The temp pick-up appears to be a simple thermocouple device; I may change the lead and set it up in a water channel or even to measure oil temperature at the pump as it appears to read in excess of 300°C.

As a slight aside, before calibrating the speed, it did ride the first few miles at between 430 and 525 mph!!