View Single Post
Old 27-Aug-2011, 18:39
Bikes: '01 900ss, '03 R1150RS, '02 KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
why not put the cans and pc111 back on and just get it set up?

Good question. The new cans were £65 delivered. The PC set up would have cost £150. I'm tight!

Also, I did a bit of surfing on the subject and spoke to the local Dynojet bloke as well as a Ducati service dept. guy. I understand the PC can adjust the fuel mixture, but the DP ECU adjusts the timing as well and ups the revs a bit, which the PC can't do. So I was told anyway. The Dynojet bloke was understandably eager to get his mitts on it.

I wrote to the previous owner-but-one who did the PC map on a dyno. He reckoned it was spot-on. It blooming well wasn't! To be fair to him, in the paperwork was a graph of the dyno run which looked OK, flat air/fuel ratio around 13:1, max bhp 77.21. But on the (250 mile) ride home, after an hour of sub-60 mph running (due to a shedload of NSL speed cams in Devon) when it had run fine, I gave it the beans. At around 7k revs, after 10 minutes or so, it would hesitate big style if you opened the throttle further. It may have had something to do with the big Maplins on/off switch and a couple of resistors he'd soldered into the PC loom. This was apparently to test the effect of switching out the temperature sensor. I plan to repair the wiring and see if that fixes it, but I'd prefer to get the proper ECU if I can. Also he'd had "Brisk" spark plugs (£20 a pair) at the time, which someone later swapped out for standard NGK plugs. Maybe that affected it too. MPG is 50, plugs look healthy (on the dark side), so it doesn't seem that far out fuel-wise, just something isn't quite right with the PC in the loop.

Anyway, with the standard cans it runs really well.

I'm happy (-ish) to keep the standard cans on. But having the DP cans already (and they do sound gorgeous!), I wouldn't mind getting the proper matching ECU if at all possible. If not, no biggie. I druther have a reliable bike rather than one which is striving for a few extra HP and failing.

Anyway, that's my thinking on the subject.

Cheers,
Martin.