View Single Post
Old 16-Dec-2006, 07:11
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty
Martin will indeed be running the 749R next season, he keeps his mechanic who will be building and maintaining the bikes from the raceshop at Whitemoor, so JHP is still involved although not running a 749R himself.
I saw the first 2 bikes today at Coventry, one is going in the showroom and the other is already in bits being converted to superstock spec.
I had a long chat with Ken who is running the team and his opinion is that Superstock is where it is at and is going back to what superbike should be. To win BSB you need a massive budget and factory bikes-one team rented a Fireblade from HRC for 2006 season at a cost of £1,000,000-for one season, and that's just the bloody bike!
With K7 GSXR's, R1's and 1098's all putting out about 180bhp I don't think the laptimes are going to greatly different to BSB-could be a good year for Ducati-the bike is awesome, and looks like a racebike before they even start, just like a 916SPS.

John

Couldn't agree more Monty. BSB has become a money machine thanks to the likes of Sky Sports (hock, hock, spit). Watch the Superstocks before the TV plonkers catch on and ruin it again.
Times were when privateers would have a run at a championship as well. Remember Steve Spray and Mark Farmer doing just that in the late 80's?
I'm hoping the Superstocks will bring that kind of racing back. When the likes of Charlie Corner and Dennis Ireland could been seen short circuit racing one week and doing well then running the same bike at howling speeds round the TT the next.
I'll be going to a few races I know.
I wonder if the AMA and ACU will get together again and combine the Superstock series into a present day Trans-Atlantic series. Now that would be worth watching.

Ains.