View Single Post
Old 03-May-2005, 16:24
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I think the benefits of the 620 big bore are being overstated. I was speaking to Geoff on Sat night and his bike is making 62 bhp at the rear wheel. Any well sorted 620 is making the same. Geoff may have a better curve, I haven't seen it, but I don't think the difference is that much.

Big bores on a 620 are expensive and IMO the marginal gain is not worth the cost.

Another way of looking at it is this. Geoff's bike and mine are the same horsepower (well mw's bike was dyno'd at 62 and they were setup almost identical so mine would be the same) so I don't think the slightly better power and torque curves he has would give him the 3 to 4 seconds a lap he had on me on the woodlands circuit. He's just a much better rider - simple.

If I had chosen a 675 as my weapon of choice I'd have done the carb mods that no-one seems to have done as well, all the tuners say that this will even the performance between the 675's and the 620's. I have no idea how much this mod costs but if I was one of you lot I'd be looking into it.

If Phil and Ali had this mod I wouldn't be surprised to see them go past me and Nick and gap us, as it's fairly even between us at the moment.

Now stop bloody moaning! (Caveat - humorous dig, not a stab at anyone before my head gets bitten off)

[Edited on 3-5-2005 by TP]

If I had a 620 this would be my view too. It would also be a steaming pile of do do!

Three BB 675s have been dyno'd and not one has made more that 51.8bhp. By your own admission MW's bike is making 62bhp. I have spoken to just about every Ducati tuner in the land, and couple in the US/Aus, and every single one of them say the same thing:

"The difference is valve diameters is so great that the only way you'll ever get close to a 620 is to do some serious head-work"

Believe me, I've looked at:

shorter inlet manifolds
keihin 39mm flat slides
dialling the cams
advancing the timing
using bellmouths
forced air induction

and the most optomistic estimate is 1.5 - 2bhp improvment.....for £1700!

Given that I believe none of us have £1700 to bin on mods we'll all be sticking with 51.xbhp, while the 620s will all be on 59-62bhp.

If you think that's a level playing field then you need a new spirit-level!

Sorry about the thread hijacking.

Cheers,

Ali