Thread: Removing Engine
View Single Post
Old 21-Dec-2006, 17:35
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Hi Chris,

The clutch side of the swingarm bolt is a socket (not sure on the size) and the other side is a 14mm allen key. You hold one still whilst undoing the other.

Don't be under any illusion that it'll be easy with 'a decent wrench'.

Plenty of 748/9** owners/members will attest that this can be a ba*t*rd of a job if it's never been undone before (i.e. not loosened up and regreased etc).

Once you have the clutch-side nut off, it is (or should I say "should be") a simple task of sliding the swingarm bolt (SA bolt here on) out by 'tapping' it from the clutch side using an appropriately sized piece of tubular metal or bar (i.e. a 'drift'). Ideally you could get the right sized socket but get it in a 'deep socket' format where the socket is about 3 inches long. That way you could undo the nut on the SA bolt about 2 turns leaving it inside the thread of the SA bolt and then remove your socket wrench and then hammer on the end of socket itself enough to budge/free the SA bolt.

Instead and more often than not, it's a casing of braying absolute f**k out of your bike as the SA bolt is jammed solid and doesn't budge under even the most extreme persuasion....trust me... I and many others have been there and is why I say be carefull not to damage the threads on the clutch-side end of the bar or indeed, flare the ends of the bar itself as you hammer on it.

HTH even further but shout if you need any more.

Guy

Last edited by Guido : 21-Dec-2006 at 17:40.