View Single Post
Old 24-Sep-2004, 16:12

Had a similar conversation with a mate some years back. I liked the old SS range because (a) simple (b) relatively cheap (c) utterly classic styling (lost on the injected models) and (d) they filled the "light, unthreatening sports bike" niche, like the Suzuki SV650 does now.

In other words, not much power, but every last pony was completely usable, which makes bikes like this incredibly satisfying to ride.

My 750SS has been blasted across France many, many times on uk.rec.motorcycles weekends (I may organise one for the Ducatisti next year) and while there have been occasions when I'd have liked more power, I've never, ever wanted to get rid of the bike and trade up.

Now, if Ducati took the 748 engine, detuned it a tad to lift the mid-range and left it with... I dunno, maybe 80-85bhp at the top end, and gave it a less radical riding position - in fact, the old SS riding position - with a slightly more protective fairing, then I'd definitely be interested.

I'm not interested in a Multistrada because it seems too much money for what it is (the 620 is interesting, though) and I don't really like the Yamaha TDM style anyway.