View Single Post
Old 18-Jan-2012, 13:54
Bikes: all ducatis except for one prewar Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E
Really helpful advice ducatiz, thanks. I've just spoken to The Motorcycle Restoration Company in Essex and they seal 'loads of tanks' specifically for the reasons we are concerned about. Martin at MRC confirmed exactly what you said ducatiz, regarding preparation. Sounded like he had said it hundreds of times. £150 for a single coat and £205 if it needs a second coat + VAT. I feel sorry for the poor souls who have classic bikes with fiberglass tanks, he has some real sorry stories!

Might as well take my tank off this w/e and let it dry before taking it up to MRC. A distress purchase but I can't wait for Ducati to do something with more ethanol on the way soon.

I don't know that they will do anything more. Here in the states, they have taken the stance that the deformation is an acceptable variation in the performance of the part. That's my wording, but that's essentially it. Under the terms of the lawsuit, they'll only replace a tank that has significant deformation, and then only with a tank made of the same stuff.

I wonder what the folks at MRC are using for their coating since this is nylon and not fibreglass. It does not take adhesives well. There are epoxy formulations which are designed for it, but most of the traditional tank coatings will not permanently adhere (like any that are urethane based).

Your best option in my humble opinion is to use one of the epoxy formulations. Prep the tank well, which means dry completely, rinse with cleanser, dry again. And then double-coat using a proper reducer so it gets everywhere inside the tank.

I hope Ducati does something differently in Europe, maybe we in the states can benefit but as it is, the lawsuit did nothing that Ducati wasn't already doing (swapping tanks and modifying bikes).