View Single Post
Old 13-Jun-2006, 16:58
Mille

Mood: Very thirsty
FWIW I have plumbed for Tiscali when I can't get access to Telewest coz you're not hammered on download limits. I'm sure there are others around nowadays offering unlimited surfing, but at the time of selecting it most of the others were restricting the amount you could download/upload.

I agree with previous comments about 'wired' being more secure than wireless, ultimately a physical connection is going to offer the best form of protection. However implementing an appropriate level of encryption will act as a deterent which is a good hurdle to put in the way of most would-be snoopers. At the end of the day there are many other ways of intercepting internet traffic, governments/agencies are doing it all the time.

I was determined to network our house with CAT5 cabling system when we moved in about 4 years ago. Convinced the Missus that it was worth spending the money (which was a job in itself. I've had better receptions presenting business cases to the boards of big companies than I did trying to win her support for that one !!). Looking back now I'm so glad the wireless revolution hit the consumer market. Saved myself a packet and wasn't restricted to using the PC within range of a wall socket. Plus the Missus was happy that I wasn;t ripping up the carpets to route cables here, there and everywhere. I've even gone wireless on my front door bell - which was a giggle for the first few days when I had it on the same channel as someone else in the area. It was sport alone watching the kids dive to the front door when the bell rang only to find no-one was there. I still smile at the thought that the other person was probably doing the same when we rang our door bell .

Jiminy