View Single Post
Old 03-May-2009, 20:55
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb
So............he may need bigger springs........but try a little pre load first.......which may decrease the sag on the front to say 20mm....... and achieve his aim..........or are we saying different things!!!!!!!!!

It is very easy to get mixed up on suspension, I know I do, but from what I have gleaned and put into practise over the past few years has helped me understand suspension better than before, but I still have a long way to go.

To answer the above, if it takes 100kg to fully compress a 100kg spring, no matter wether you preload the spring or add no preload, the spring will still fully compress. By adding preload all you are doing is stopping the spring moving for part of that 100kg pressure ie if you preload the spring by 25kg, it will not compress untill over 25kg has been put on it, after that it will compress at the same rate as it would have done if there was no preload on it.

The only way you can alter that is by changing the airgap or the spring weight.

The air gap only works for the last part of the forks compression, to little an air gap and the forks will feel as if they are bottoming out before they do and to much will allow the forks to bottom out.

Compression damping alters the speed the fork spring will compress, to much compression and the forks will feel harsh, to little and the forks will feel to soft.

As you can see it is like juggling 4 balls or more, they all have to work equaly or it all goes wrong.

Chris