View Single Post
Old 15-Aug-2005, 23:14
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
Hmm, tricky one.

Having now raced on wets, road tyres and "sticky tyres" I think that the Diablos are fine in the dry, we don't need to go for race rubber/tyre warmers/gennies etc.

I forgot that I wasn't on wets in the first race (hah, didn't think of that excuse did you WJB?!) but to be honest, up to that point I was reasonably happy with the amount of grip that the Diablos offered in proper wet conditions.

Race 2 would have been interesting on wets as a dry line was emerging by the end. A SoT bike with 130+ bhp probably would have cooked wets in those conditions, but I wonder how wets would have stood up to 6 laps from 50-60bhp?

As I said way back at the AGM, I would prefer to have wets as an option for when they are needed for safety reasons, but also remember last year pondering whether the imminent downpour meant cut slicks, inters or wets on each end of the bike, while this year it was just a case of "ho hum I'm going to get wet".

However, to mis-quote Dom, nobody wants to spend all that money on a bike, pay to race and then risk wasting it all for the sake of an extra relatively small investment.

One of the aims of this series was for people to experience racing, and the choice of using wets or not is part of that, despite being an extra hassle.

So before I get told to p*ss or get off the pot, as an in- form crasher I say go with wets for next year.