Quote:
Originally posted by octo
Hi
(1st post, after some opinions)

Been riding several years:

CBR600 (1997)
R6 (2001)
R1 (2003)

Ready for a new bike, had a go on my mates SP1, awesome! Then took the 749S out (£7500) and what a huge disappointment?!?! Looks amazing, but feels slow and cumbersome and sounds <b>[Censored]</b> as standard! Clearly needs the termi exhaust upgrade, so after that, its not a cheap bike, and in my opinion very average performance. The SP1 blows it away and I suspect the 999 does’nt really offer a massive increase in power performance.

Iam desp to get a Ducati, I love them (sound, looks) but I cant help but feeling the bikes have gone a bit soft?

Spoke to an independent Ducati mechanic near to me and his opinion was, and I quote “forget the new 749,999 bikes their tosh! He told me to save my cash and get a mint used standard 996, as its the only Ducati to have! Go like FOOK, sound FOOKING amazing, and look the FOOKING ducati’s dogs!” He said if he was gonna buy a brand new twin it would be the Aprilla RSV-Factory, after that the SP2, but definitely, definitely not a new 999…

Hhmm, discuss…

So the last current bike is a 2003 R1, that the same as my previous bike. So first I would say of course the 749 seems slow. So test ride your old R6 that will seem slow as well.

For a better comparison test an R6, then a 748 then a 749. That should give you a much better comparison.

Or test an SP2 then a 996/998 then a 999

By comparing like with like you will be an to choose on what you think, not on what your mechanic thinks.

Rob