View Single Post
Old 19-Dec-2011, 20:19
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Well thats it then I'm now officialy at stage one then Kev, managed to round it off on Sat, jes its well stuck in there. Next job put the tank back on and ride it down to Pro Bike and get them to get that damm bolt loose.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Nope Neil not a left hand thread, not even a nut to worry about
A 10mm Bolt passes through the swingarm casting through the shock eye and threads into the swingarm on the other side.

Craig it pretty much turned out to be a two man job, what should be a fairly simple job is made a lot harder by Ducatis use of nickle plated Steel bolts and fitting them into alloy without the use of any anti-seize compound.

Kev P came around with some more 8mm Hex keys which we then managed to trash including the Snap-on one

In the end we got it out with me heating the swingarm with the heat gun adjacent to the thread area and Kev attacking it from the other side with the Windy gun
Once the bolt was removed there was no sign of either thread-lock or Anti-Seize compound. So the problem was caused by corrosion, needles to say when I refitted the bolt after cleaning it with scotch-brite I gave it a liberal coating of copper slip

So the answer to the original question is

Six 8mm Hex Keys required
Windy Gun required
10 Bar Compressor required
Heat Gun required
Two people required
And how ever long it takes