View Single Post
Old 19-Jul-2011, 22:57
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Some ST4 Upgrades + Rubbish headlight!

Following the disappointment of the failed billet clutch slave (another story), I decided to get busy with some planned upgrades....

►MotoBatt Battery + also added a second cable to the starter motor from the solenoid, (its such an improvement already).
►4 pad calipers + 2 separate race setup HEL hoses.
►SatNat RAM mount added by using the mounting boss in the top yoke front, (Not sure if this is the purpose it was intended for?)
►Osram night breaker H3 headlight bulb fitted - more later....

But the stuff I'm very surprised with:

I won a cheap set of Ring LED slim line cruise lights, originally to go on the car, I decided I'd try mounting them on the ST - after a few false starts I decided to mount them on the underside of the air conveyor panel.

They might not look look too pretty:

But its noticeable already, that the few vehicles that might have pulled out on me before dont seem to now!

I have them wired in using male/female connectors (in case I decide to remove them) and into the side lights circuit.

So, I decided the rear could do with an upgrade too

I remembered I have an LED rear light assembly from a Triumph 675 laying around - tested it and found everything ok and sussed the connections.

Sadly, it would not easily replace standard light unit but, since I had the lens removed from the backing plate, on a whim I discovered with some heavy dremel mods that it fitted INSIDE the lens a treat.

Only downside was I also had to cut out the original bulb mounting port on the back plate but I figured the reliability would be worth it.

I'm quite pleased with the results:

Side lights...

and with Brake light:

Total rear light cost to me - a few quid and an evening of optimisation!

Oh yes - Headlight, I decided on a late night run to test the new headlight bulb. Really enjoyed my first night time ride but the headlight is GARBAGE!

God only knows what a standard bulb is like - will check the alignment but I can see why so many seem to criticise the lighting or avoid evening rides, easy upgrade recommendations welcome.

Cheers - Frank