View Single Post
Old 27-May-2006, 23:58
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
OK, I used to work at Total in sales and marketing for the lubes sides.

If I had a wet clutch I would not put Quartz 7000 in it. Right viscosity (ie: 10w/40) but the spec is way to high for a bike with a wet clutch.

The oil contains Friction Modifiers which are great for a modern car engine and fuel economy, but, play hell with wet clutches. Bike oil compared to modern car oil is quite low spec. Modern car oil is very high spec' and has lots of additives to assist with fuel economy and extended drain intervals .... bikes work on a completly different technology.

Bike oil has to lubricate the engine PLUS gearbox PLUS clutch in a wet system.

If possible get the correct bike oil .... any major oil company 10w/40 will be fine, just make sure it is intended for a bike. Shell, Total, Castrol, Silkolene, Q8 would all be OK and will mix fine with what you have in now. All major brands will be miscible in service.

All that said, the main reason for oil related failure is lack of lubrication rather than the wrong oil. If you assume your bike holds around 4 ltr of oil you would be OK (ish) topping up with 1 or 2ltr max of car type oil.

And by the way, AFAIK has nothing at all to do with oil spec's. The ones that you will see quoted are ACEA and API.