View Single Post
Old 22-Nov-2003, 21:57
wheelspin

Well here's the lowdown on the day for all those keeping up with this post.
I did the shopping trip to the local store and filled the basket with tins of corned beef, ham,salmon. tuna, beans, fruit, Frey Bentos pies, rice puddin', etc. etc. etc.
Started the bike up and then proceded to put numerous layers on with the 1 piece waterproofs on top. Hauled the rucksack on my back and mounted the 996. Upon reaching the top of my road I flipped my visor down only to break the dodgy clip to secure it (Arai). No time to change visors as I'm running late so a quick blast the 5 miles or so to the meeting point. Plenty of bikes in the car park and I pull in to a quiet corner. A quick head count is done and there's about 90+ bikes- down on last year, but the weather is awfull. I spot a 900 then I hear another Ducati arrive- it's a 996 ! Another 900 arrives so that's 4 Duc's including me. We're summoned to a quick briefing by plod who starts off by saying "Nice to see so many bikes here in this weather- there's even some DUCATIS" Cheeky *@!t.

I sit back and wait for the insignificants to go first and I end up 3rd from back. (after being 3rd from the front last year I was advised to go at the back for a faster run)
The pace is desperately slow and I don't get out of 1st gear until we're out of the town. Nevertheless it's a bit of a stop start affair the whole way with a maximum speed of 55 reached for any distance. The whole convoy moves as fast as the slowest person and it was a toss up between one of the plastic pig 3 wheelers and some home made jobbie
Anyway back to the Town Hall and the Mayor thanks us for our efforts. I wander over and speak to the guy I saw on the 996 and his pilion. We get yakking about Ducs and what do you know-- he's only in the DOC and is thinking about setting up a meeting locally. His missus asks me if I'm in "The Ducati" Club- "yes" I reply, "The Ducati Sporting Club". "oh, who are they ?" he asks.
Conversation over really. Bit difficult to tell him what a freindly bunch we are by myself. No point telling him how we have regular meets, how everyone joins in, and why he should be in our club instead.
Can't prove any of it.
Maybee next year we can get a decent showing from the DSC as it will be the 10th annual run of this event. I'll be doing it- will you?
Much respect for the cops as they did a great job holding up the traffic and they had to ride back to the other side of Norwich- Which was good as they didn't have time to check out me Termis' or measure me plate.

Mark