View Single Post
Old 18-Apr-2006, 13:23
Montjuic

Am I missing something here? Surely the noise and judder on pulling away is caused by the condition of the plates within the clutch and nothing else.
When you pull away from lights the clutch centre is fully down off the ramps and locked against the base plate. Therefore the number of ramps or the type of ramp (plain or with ball-bearing) has no effect.
Sure, the fact that the clutch slips during over-run causes the condition of the plates to deteriorate quicker than they would in a standard clutch. Isn't this the only reason that slippers sometimes exhibit judder and noise when pulling away?

I have a 748R which had the three plain ramp clutch fitted. I have to say that I found it to be a complete pain. It only ever worked reliably for me for a day or two after being serviced (track days only). Beyond that I might as well have had an ordinary clutch. I've just changed it for a six-ramp ball-bearing type (Sigma) and I'm hopeful for better performance between services. The original clutch juddered and was noisy when the plates were dirty or worn. I did find that fitting an extra dished steel plate improved things.