View Single Post
Old 04-Mar-2005, 00:49
Big Twin

Dave

Basically...the ride height is paramount in getting the bike to handle as desired.

Mr S has summed it up in his above details...and when I had the 748, I borrowed a ride height tool of a friend to set it to a value recommended by many. Providing you haven't tinkered with the ride height directly or adjusted the chain then it should be the same as when it left me, which is a good setting.

Having your own will mean that when you do make adjustments in the future, you are taking a reading from a known universal datum for setting the ride height on the 748/9** models.

Getting this, and the other static measurments (ie front/rear sag) correct is a must before commencing with other settings available.

As for the ohlins rear, I don't have any data to hand for the standard settings, but from memory, the ohlins site does contain a bit of stuff on there for settings etc. May be worth a look. And, again if memory serves me correct, the shock you have was off an SP(S) and has the 7.6 kg/mm spring fitted (i think although it is easy to check as its written on the side) which should be about OK for you. Getting it, and all of the other settings set up along with the rear shock is the key, all working in unison, but doing their individual tasks...and I do not claim to be an expert in the field at all!!!

One of the best investments you can make is to sort your suspension out...i.e. take it to a pro