View Single Post
Old 14-Jan-2009, 18:56
Mille

I think Skids is referring to my post on Ducatisti, in my 09 prep thread, where I stated that my crank was ready to pick up after balancing. The crank and all associated parts are made with certain tolerances. When you hand the entire mass over for balancing ( crank, rods, pistons, gudgeon pins, circlips ) all thats done is to make sure that WITHIN THE FACTORY TOLERANCES the crank is not running out of balance. What I have had done is nothing to do with performance enhancement, just to try to ensure the engine doesnt fly apart. NOTHING has been lightened outside tolerances, NOTHING has been polished, its just been PUT TOGETHER PROPERLY, no more no less. Its a bog std 583 crank, with bog std 583 rods, and bog std 583 pistons, and bog std 583 gudgeon pins, and bog std everything. I have several engines and have mixed and matched parts.....so balancing is then an absolute necessity imho. NOT lightening or polishing, BALANCING. Its NOT been modified in any way shape or form, nor even has it been lightened to get to minimum factory weight, just put together to run evenly, bearing in mind it was an engine that I had bought that had been sat in a wet shed for a year, it all HAD to come apart as all the bearings needed renewing. No modifications could go so far as meaning using std gaskets instead of 3 bond for instance, or not shimming the crank to take into account the lack of gaskets today. the rules also state :
Wheels including diameter and rim width must remain as originally produced by Ducati since 1992 for the 600/620 bikes.
Front wheel 17” X 3.5”, Rear Wheel 17” X 4.5

but we all know 748/916 wheels are used......I think some common sense needs to prevail here.

Last edited by nogaromill998 : 14-Jan-2009 at 19:06.