Thread: The ST Range
View Single Post
Old 27-Nov-2005, 19:06
Ducati Corse

Quote:
Originally posted by Jools
So sorry Henners, I don't think the V-Twin has had it's day - when I bought my 888, I might have had a fleeting split second notion to get a Honda SP2 instead, but I would never have even considered a Fireblade

Never said that V twins have had their day Jools. What I did say is that the next generation of Ducati engines have to be V4s - including the sports tourers - a point on which I think we agree.

A V4 gives you the ability to match the power per cc of an IL4 together with it's low rev smoothness but with the character of a V twin and the sound is evocative - think Joey flat out at the IoM on a RVF

It's clear that V twins are not attacting the buyers at the moment, the sales figures and the failures of high profile Ducati dealers tell us that. The V4 is the logical way to go for Ducati in view of the MotoGP factor and also because the only hope in WSB for Corse now is to get the capacity limit for twins up to 1200cc - that says it all. I know that the 999 won BSB however I believe that was far more to do with the profesionalism of GSE and the failure of HRC.

You say you have never even considered a Fireblade. Try mine for a test ride before ruling it out - it will very pleasently surprise you