View Single Post
Old 02-Oct-2009, 23:43
Bikes: Recent bikes: ZX6R (05), GSXR1000 (K2), 998S (02),

Mood: Generally good
Dukeman,

Just the man to ask about that 1098s! I've been browsing MCN and Ducati dealer websites having fun contemplating my options... and I have a few questions for you.

Yes I've had a GSXR1000, but it didn't really do it for me. Fast but brakes and handling not as good as an ohlins suspended and Brembo equipped Duke. My 998S was far better to ride on track.

Most recently I traded down to a ZX6R - call me a wimp, but I wasn't enjoying the track riding so much. Not intimidated you understand, ahem. Anyhow, loved the 636 on track and my riding really moved on some (I previously had done Levels 1 to 4 at CSS over a few seasons, so knew what I was doing on track - or rather, what I was supposed to be doing). Much more confident now, and quicker, and ready to move up again.

Where was I? Oh yes, my questions. I've read here in the forum and in bike mags that the 1098 is quite aggressive on the throttle and wheelie prone. I don't see the point of all that power if you can't use it for forward motion! Are there any mods (eg sprocket changes?) that will help get more forward drive out of corners? What's your experience, if you ride on track? I'd appreciate any pointers.

I do LOVE the look of the 1098. So much better than the 999, though it's growing on me I have to say. I'm contemplating a 999R - JHP has a 2003 bike... fancy an R, and couldn't afford the 1098...

Nice talking.