View Single Post
Old 11-Dec-2014, 19:18
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
The workshop manual states that to drain the system it should be on the side stand which I did, the are 2 drain points the larger one on the pump body and a smaller one underneath on the forward cylinder, both of therese were removed and replaced after the system had stopped draining. However it omits to say that the bike should be on the centre stand for refilling otherwise as has previously been pointed out, with the bike leant over the hoses are lower than the highest point of the engine.

The manual also states that when the system is completely full run the engine up to 110 deg C for 10 minutes then let it cool this is to allow any air to be expelled, then top up if needed.

I refitted the rad today and refilled the system and made sure I got as much air out as possible by squeezing all of the hoses in turn as I added enough coolant to brim the rad bit by bit,this seemed to give better results because I managed to get 3 litres into the system just over 2 litres into the Engine/Rad and the rest into the expansion bottle. I ran the engine until the stat opened and let it continue up to 101 deg when the fan cut in. I have now left it to cool down and will check tomorrow if it needs any more coolant in the rad.

I have to agree that squeezing the hoses is a faster way to expel trapped air because running the pump will entrain the air into the water thus making it a much slower process for the air to dissipate, this is based on my experience with heating systems over many years. Air will always migrate to the highest point.....eventually.

Thanks for all the input, I'll know tomorrow if it has been successful this time, in a way the excercise has not been wasted because at least I have satisfied my self that the cooling system is pretty clean now, At €9 for 5 litres it didn't break the bank.
Cheers
Phil