Thread: Bleeding clutch
View Single Post
Old 25-Jul-2006, 05:54

I kept this letter to the ed of Classic Bike when I found it some time ago because I've had the same probs you've had and this guy seemed to have it sussed
".....my experience after 30 years in the old bike business?Bleeding brakes the simple quick and cheap way.
Required: cheap plastic or glass syringe,preferably greater than 100cc.The bigger it is the fewer times you have to empty it.

Although it was not mentioned in the article,the design of the bleed nipple with the bleed holes in the side above the bottom taper means that a certain amount of air will be sucked down the bleed nipple threads when using any vacuum bleed sytem.I always remove the nipple first and wind a couple of turns of plumbers tape around the threads, just enough to seal.Be careful not to cover the small bleed holes above the bottom taper.

Screw the nipple into the caliper until it bottoms and back off around one turn.

Use syringe to suck fluid through system, maintaining fluid level in master reservoir.
Continue until fluid is no longer aerated.Lightly tapping lines, master, calipers etc as you draw fluid throught the system ensures a quick, highly effective bleed time and time again.

Tighten bleed nipple.Thread seal tape can be left in situ.It is actually best to leave it there as it seals the threads, minimizing water entry and the dreaded expensive 'broken nipple' syndrome!

To rebleed the system merely loosen nipple again and use the syringe.

A couple of pounds for a syringe is a much more economical proposition than a vacuum pump.

Occasionally customers have brought in bikes with brake systems that have defied their every efforts to bleed by the usual pump and release method. I love the looks on their faces when they see the job done to perfection in five minutes at the most.I refuse to charge them and give them a syringe to take home."

I haven't needed to try it yet but it reads well eh?
Goodluck