View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2004, 20:01
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
This is getting out of hand imho. For goodness sake - keep it simple. The rules as they stand are way too complex and expensive, again only in my opinion, which differs from other 'experienced' racers I know. I believe the objective is to get people in the DSC into racing easily and cheaply to race with their mates....so make it a one make series, with no mods and control tyres.....simple....no money advantage, no technical skills advantage, just you. Control tyres work well in CB5's and even the WSB guys agree they're good, but again to keep it cheap and equal, choose a ROAD tyre, not a semi race as you need to ride in March in Pembrey - you ain't gonna go well on any track tyre - it's road or wets.

With so many bikes and variations, who'll know who's leading who in any race - it'll be like some races I've been in with Hornets, CB5's, LC's, 125's and 400's all in the same race - it's not a race, it's people on an expensive track day where you only get two 12 minute sessions.

I can't stress this strongly enough - as it stands, it won't work. It'll be all money and weeks in the garage tinkering until the second that red light goes out....then it all changes, you're RACING, not having fun with your mates on a track day - IT IS VERY VERY DIFFERENT. Once you realise that the guy next to you has more money, done some fancy mods, got better tyres, suspension, a completely different bike??? it ceases to become a competitive race. This is not WSB/MotoGP.

In CB5's, the closest match to what I'm harping on about, there are minute things that make the difference to winning and coming second by 0.03, which I've done - tyres are newer, the guys slightly lighter than you, he's got newer pads, the power curve is different, he's got a different sprocket to you, he's lying flatter on the tank than you going down the straight etc - any of these will make the tiny difference that makes for close racing. Go with 600's, modified 600's, SS's, modified SS's, 620's and modified 620's - you may as well make it any red Ducati and be done with it - Skids could race his 748 he's been trying to sell!!!

Sorry to go on, but I think I know a fair bit about what it's like, when a lot posting here are putting uninformed opinions forward - which they're perfectly entitled to do of course and some are great ideas which enhance the original idea, which is great. Please don't think I'm up my own backside on this, but I love this club, love the people, love Ducatis and I would love to see this work. Once the red light is out, you'll know what I mean.

As an aside, if you're up around 80bhp, why not let 748's in - you can pick them up for the same as a decent 620 and at least they're proper race bikes - why not make it a 748 one make series

I've been at work too long, must get on and finish before I lose all credibility and friends around here.:P

Rant over

WeeJohnyB