View Single Post
Old 12-Oct-2006, 10:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: Looking for a one way ticket to the 'Ring.
Popped my offroad cherry at the weekend

As part of my Enduro Africa trip I'm doing this November, we were sent along to LLandovery in Wales to meet up with some guys who are doing next years event for a bit of basic offroad training.
The guys have links/ran GB motorcross team, Enduro events etc. So they were well experienced. Up turns 24 individuals, half of whom had no or very little offroad experience. After 2 days and 5 different bikes (1 aching groin from kicking over this KTM 400) I'm a little bit more eperienced now.
Would I do it again too right, am I thinking of getting an offroad toy.............. too right, what a blast.
For those that have not done it before give it a go, as long as you have the equipment it's ok to fall off.
One guy had knee protectors and road boots, was ok for the first day, on the second day he caught a forward facing branch and it skewered him in the leg between the gap of his low boots and knee pads, removed a nice slice of skin, and off to hospital he went.
So what did I learn, well I'm too old and slow to react to peaky race tuned 2 strokes, the on/off of the throttle was a bit severe, would get a 250 4 stroke if I was going to ride technical stuff in the woods or a KTM 400 if it was fast open track based.
It was fantastic of these guys to turn up with their own bikes for us all to practice on, one guy brought a 250 2 stroke that won the UK championship, it was renamed the ASBO as everyone that got off it alive was taken back by it's speed.