View Single Post
Old 17-Jan-2005, 22:01
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
1) If you have an engine that has been standing and you want to 'flush' it before using a good oil ... just buy a cheap unbranded oil, and fill with that, run the engine at tickover until it is properly hot, and then change the oil for a good brand.
To be sure, you should change the filter too, if you dont know how long its been in there.
And definitely check the screen filter - because (as we all know) the cartridge-filtered-oil only goes to the crank and the screen is the only filter for the oil that goes to the heads (strange but true !)
2) If you are thinking of changing your oil 'for the winter' - remember that used oil will always have an acid build up, so the best time to change it is before or during the lay up, not before starting riding again.

(Oh, and I use any old branded semi in the due, and any old branded synth in the ottovalvole, according to what is a good price when I'm buying. It's changing it regularly that makes the difference ! I have between 6 and 8 bikes on the road at any one time !)