View Single Post
Old 22-Apr-2010, 00:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Glyn is this the same bike that gave you problems at the end of the Fools rideout a few years ago

As you say its acting as a old style starting system

Where as with the 749 System pushing the start button earths pin 28 of the ECU Body connector and providing there is 12V on Pin 27 from the Run switch (and 12 volts on Pin 38 from having the sidestand up***see comment below) and Providing pin 14 on the ECU Engine connector is Eathed via the neutral switch then Pin 1 of the ECU Body connector should earth the Starter Solinoid and keep it cranking until the speed of the engine is enough for the engine to be running then it removes the earth to Pin 1 and hence the Starter Solinoid

I can't see how the fuel pump relay effects it, Yes a faulty relay could stop it from starting but shouldn't prevent the engine cranking over

So A voltage drop from either the Run Button or sidestand switch or a poor connection on the neutral wire of a iffy neutral switch could cause a problem.

Although pulling in the Clutch lever should bypass the Neutral circuit providing the Clutch switch circuit is OK, my S2R currently has a broken wire to the clutch switch so will only start in neutral

***Not 100% sure about the sidestand needing to be up on the 749 as my S2R can start and idle on the sidestand, but on my 998 I fitted a small bypass harness, and I haven't owned a 749/999 or 848/1098 that use the Bi directional CAN system, although have worked on 1098 harness but thats connected to a Nemesis where you can do away with the interlocks easily enough.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook