View Single Post
Old 05-Jan-2007, 12:12
Mille

Mood: what a day, a year, a life it's been
Quote:
Originally Posted by 888heaven
Yer a real asthetic addition to countryside and the same people get the hump when Prescot sanctions the building of millions of new homes.
sorry no excuse for blotting any landscape vandalism is vandalism regardless of the benefits.
As for pylons how are they going to get the eletricity off the island and too the grid more blotts.
To achieve the same output the whole of the country would be covered end to end total madness its knee jerk reaction to a problem that ministers have'nt planned for.
I've never had criminal intent but if lived on those islands i'd sabotage as many as i could.
small community crushed by big business at the end of the day,green is not always good.

And conventional or nuclear power stations are NOT blots on the landscape?

Image1.jpg

Given a choice, I'd rather look out on a valley dotted with wind turbines than a valley with a bl**dy great coal-fired power station in it!

Wind and wave power generation sited offshore seems to be the current favourite (and by offshore I mean IN THE SEA, similar to oil and gas platforms) as this gives access to the power needed and has less visual impact (higher costs and almost as high environmental impact, tho).

The truth is, until we find a source of power better than electricity we are stuck with electrical power generation in one form or another.

Renewable energy could only ever produce a fraction of our electricity needs, but even 30% of our requirements produced by low-pollution means is better than none.

And if anyone says that wind or wave is non-polluting, they've got that wrong. Both require vast amounts of concrete, steel, plastics, lead and copper and they don't get produced without polluting by-products.