View Single Post
Old 05-Jan-2007, 13:54
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini
And conventional or nuclear power stations are NOT blots on the landscape?

Attachment 2380

Given a choice, I'd rather look out on a valley dotted with wind turbines than a valley with a bl**dy great coal-fired power station in it!

Wind and wave power generation sited offshore seems to be the current favourite (and by offshore I mean IN THE SEA, similar to oil and gas platforms) as this gives access to the power needed and has less visual impact (higher costs and almost as high environmental impact, tho).

The truth is, until we find a source of power better than electricity we are stuck with electrical power generation in one form or another.

Renewable energy could only ever produce a fraction of our electricity needs, but even 30% of our requirements produced by low-pollution means is better than none.

And if anyone says that wind or wave is non-polluting, they've got that wrong. Both require vast amounts of concrete, steel, plastics, lead and copper and they don't get produced without polluting by-products.

Never said that power stations or any other forms of industrial use are not blots.
wind turbines as objects of beauty stick them in the Tate Modern with the pickled animals and piles of bricks then not on natural vistas.
the reasons there are oil rigs in the sea is because of the huge profits outway the collossal start-up costs and maintenance.
wind turbines will not even cover the start-up costs and theres another problem if your supplying 30% you need at least 50% more output to cover for no wind and maintenance which means you could have built Nuclear power stations on existing sites at similair costs.
anyone who thinks that the enviromental impact of building and installing tens of thousands of turbines on land or in the sea is going to cause less damage than any other form of industrail intervention is living in cloud cuckoo land
Why has Nuclear power got such a stigma is it the relationship with Nuclear weapons, I dont know the figures of people killed by these bombs but I,am sure the common car has killed more people in a year and every year.
how many have been killed in Iraq just with common and garden gun I think weve lost all sense of perspective.
pollution is just that "Argh but this is green pollution it doesnt count"
sorry but in my view you will never catch up with demand because of the expansion of the worlds population and 30% of todays consumption will be 5% by tomorrow and the shortfall will eventually have to be filled with something practical and in the short term it will be Nuclear but in the longterm they may find something completely new.
But it wont be wind farms there just a gimick to show everyone that the government are doing something just like sticking fuel tax up for flying.
there is no excuse for saying "But lets just do something" when they do that you get things that go horribly wrong,the dangerous dogs act and the gun laws all show the way it goes when you have a Knee-jerk reaction they dont protect anyone.

And no sorry I dont know the answer but for me its not fields of Turbines

Last edited by 888heaven : 05-Jan-2007 at 14:34.