View Single Post
Old 05-Jan-2007, 16:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban996
Will power consumption really decrease? Maybe it will grow at a lower rate, but actually decrease? I find that one doubtful.. The growth in everything electrical is never-ending, new buildings all have fancy HVAC systems which the older ones don't. I'm not convinced UK power consumption will be reduced, and for the developing world it is only going to rise.

It will decrease.All manufacturers are looking to reduce the consumtion of their goods, changing from a CRT screen to an LCD screen saves about 90%.

The building design process is a little complicated. But it involves a mathematical model which determines what the consumption of the building would be pre 2006. You then have a target which at the moment has to be 28% lower than the old building design. All elements of the building are included HVAC, Lighting (my field), fenestration, insulation, domestic hot water etc. if your building does not comply it does not get a completion certificate from building control so no one can use it. Buildings must all be metered and will have an energy label assigned to them in the same way cars and fridges etc. So if you are paying X to lease an A rated building and it performs like a C rated building, then I suspect the lawyers will get involved.

But its sfae to say that most of the lighting put into commerial buildings has been absolutely **** in terms of energy efficieny. The technology has always been there to do 100% better in many cases, than has been done in the past. So at least these regs will eliminate the dross from the market place and encourage efficient design

Last edited by 749er : 05-Jan-2007 at 16:52.