View Single Post
Old 16-May-2006, 14:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Her's the brochure!

Jools,it's always nice to think that you aren't ruining something.Wood/trees and all that.If everybody said get rid,i'd have to say that maybe i was wrong(unusual!!) and they were right.

Absolutely agree mate.

My aim is to keep any modifications I make consistent with the spirit of the bike, but since mine is a Strada I'm not the custodian of anything especially rare so I think I have a bit more leeway and don't have to be a purist.

What do I mean by that? Well one day, when I've got enough money, I would like a set of sexy lightweight wheels. I obviously wouldn't put 10 spokes on it and I would think long and hard about fitting C/F wheels, but apart from that I wouldn't be dead set on Marchesini's for complete accuracy, a nice set of similar Marvics or Dymags would be fine because they would be in the spirit of the bike and right for the era - people may well have fitted Marvics or Dymags in 1993-4 and wouldn't have been worried about originality.

The other thing is that I will make sure that all my mods are reversible so that the bike could go back to standard just by unbolting bits and putting the original stuff back on.

With an SP5 you may want to keep everything spot on original and that's cool too - since most of the mods to my Strada will be to make it look like an SP and you've already got it, but if you're being an absolute purist you'll re-route the rear brake line into that S shape as well (I prefer the way you've got it on yours but it's not like the one in the catalogue)