View Single Post
Old 31-Mar-2009, 01:02
Bikes: Desmodue b, 1098s

Good report Dom, and a great race! It was good to see everyone again and meet some new people too. Thanks to everyone who gave me help and advice over the weekend, particularly Matt T for some words of wisdom (I don't mean the comments about my leathers!)

I had a fantastic weekend, this was the first race for me since Brands last year after I broke my leg at Snetterton. Having only ridden the bike on two occasions before qualifying I was somewhat nervous as to how well I would go, I really didn't have a clue if I was on the pace or not. I went out in qually behind Dom and Harriet and they stayed well ahead of me the whole session, so I was shocked to find I was on pole! Chuffed too of course, it being my first time

Saturday
I got a terrible start and everyone shot past me but a bit of bravery got me back towards the front within the first few corners. I managed to catch Dom and was close behind him when Tim dropped it at Melbourne, Dom had to swerve to avoid Tim and I went through. The next few laps saw me dicing with Dom, passing on almost every corner. Each corner I would pass him and the next he would take me straight back, it was great racing and although some of the passes were close they were all very proper with no contact. I even engaged in some casual grass tracking! Back in the paddock I found that I had very little damping in the forks which explained why I felt I was fighting it round the track, however I was just happy to be on the podium for the first time, and in front of a tv camera!
I didnt even see Harriet after the first lap, she got a great start and stayed out in front putting in consistent fast laps which won her the race

Sunday
Two warm up laps was great for building some confidence in tyres for the first race lap! Why cant we always have this?!
I lead the race for a short while until I went grasstracking again, this time at the old hairpin. I had to back off and Dom and Will shot through and into the distance as I tried to get my speed up again. I gradually caught up and concentrated on staying smooth and comfortable knowing that if I kept that position I would bag second place as Andy Challis wasn't immediately behind me. On the last lap I tried to make a move at Goddards where i knew i could get on the power earlier than Dom but I didnt get the drive I was after and Dom took the line ahead of me. I wasn't in the least bit unhappy that I didnt win the race, a second and third are my first podiums and taking the lap record on both days was a bonus.

Bring on Anglesey!