View Single Post
Old 24-Jun-2005, 11:05
Bevel Head

For my early 98 I bought from a dealer this year, with 13K on it I paid £3600 - BUT this was with standard cans, I then had to buy a set of carbon termis, and put a new alarm / immob on it ( £350 ) - so it actually cost more like £4500 ( wont mention how much more I've spent since on more carbon, slave cylinder etc.... )

It had had a full service with belts 600 miles previously, is almost mint condition, 2 new tyres, carbon hugger, mudguard, V piece, loads of receipts for engine work, services etc.... 12 month T&T, 12 month warranty - compared to what else was around at the time it was pretty much a steal.

If you look what dealers are charging for similar bikes to yours ( I saw some right old dogs they wanted over £4500 for on M plates, N plates etc... )

Personally if the bike is in really good nick with service history etc... I'd ask a higher price and then haggle down a bit if selling privately.

YES, there are cheaper 748's available, but mostly they tend to be either due a main service / belt change ( so the sellers are getting rid rather than pay for it ) or have no history or are in rough condition.

There are buyers out there ( like me at the time ) who will pay more for the peace of mind of getting a really good bike with a known history, rather than take a risk on some old shed that hasnt been maintained and is likely to cause more expense in the future.

[Edited on 24-6-2005 by mikecardiff]