View Single Post
Old 16-Jun-2003, 16:29
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Tank is an easy job...

1. Remove seat unit to expose 5mm bolt securing tank to frame

2. Remove 5mm bolt, and pull tank gently upwards and backwards

3. Tilt tank on side to expose underside, you should see electrical connection, 2 fuel lines (one white, one black connector), and breather tubes.

4. This is the fiddly bit... first time is a bit scary... disconnect wiring, fuel lines (push the clip in, and gently pull hose connector down) a small amount of fuel will usually be spilt, and disconnect breathers.

5. remove tank from bike.

6. if you're planning on swapping filter etc, you will need to drain your tank, if you can try and remove fuel from tank via filler, but use a pump, so you don't spill it, otherwise you will need to remove the drain plug mounted at the rear of the tank, I think it's a 5mm allen bolt..... THIS IS SCARY, the bolt is loctited in, and you will need to use masses of force to shift it, first time I did mine, I put the allen key in the vice, and used the tank as leverage.

7. Once lose, open filler, remove drain plug, and drain fuel to fuel can etc, etc.

8. now loosen 3 bolt on fuel pump assembly on the underside of tank, you will also see 3 other holes in this assembly, screw the bolts you have just removed into these 3 holes, thus levering the fuel pump from the tank, you will have to use a screwdriver to lever it out the last bit.

9. Once you have done this, the fuel pump will still be connected to the tank via the black breather hoses, you will need to undo these via the jubilee clips, there is one on either side, you should then be able to get the pump out with a bit of twisting etc, etc.

10. The filter should be easy enough to swap, when you refit everything take time not to catch or snag the breather hoses, and when pushing the pump back in, watch the green O-ring seal, make sure you don't snag this, they're only about £7 or so, I have a spare at all times just incase I mess this up, although I've never had to use it yet (touch wood).

HTH.... Jon