View Single Post
Old 01-Jul-2011, 21:54

Thinking of buying a 1098 or 848

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have never owned a Ducati before, although I've thought about it, just never taken the plunge!, had a long line of Japanese sportsbikes including the original R1,954 Fireblade,CBR600RR4,CBR1000RR6 Fireblade,R6 and CBR600RR7, all great bikes and to tell the truth I did think about another I4 but I really fancy something different now.

My budget will be around £7500 which seems it will get me an 07 1098 with 8-12k miles on or an 08 or maybe 09 848 with considerably less miles.
Would the 1098 be that much of a better buy?, I mainly will use it for road riding and the 848 is no slouch itself.
I know friends who have had the older vintage Ducatis and they have had various problems with them but from what I gather their pretty good now?, is there anything specific to look out for when viewing them other than the usual signs of damage etc?, would a 1098 with this milage be impossible to move on again in a year or 2 with say 15k on the clock?, I've not ridden a V twin much before, my only experience on one was a Suzuki TLR which I can't say was great, although I'm sure I will be able to get used to it, plus the 1098/848s look fantastic too, is servicing that much more than a Japanese I4? from what I've seen a service with belts seems to be about £500 ish from an independant.

I was also considering an Aprilia RSV Factory, they do seem slightly better value for money plus you get all the Ohlins goodies on them but I admit they don't look as good, I know this is a Ducati forum so I won't expect too much of an unbiased answer but would the 1098 and Mille stack up fairly evenly or is the 1098 that much better?.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm looking to buy in the next month or so and don't want to jump in at the deep end and end up with a lemon!.