View Single Post
Old 21-Jan-2005, 13:08
Mille

Mood: Erratic
That’s a very good article and I shall tuck it away for further reference, a couple of points that it makes are very interesting. Could we be looking in the wrong direction for cam wear, could this be a result of impurities getting into the oil due to a poor air filter set up? This would defiantly explain (according to the article) why we should be using thicker oil, but why doesn’t wear show up to the same extent any where else? The article also raises the point that more viscose oil will offer greater pressure between two surfaces and thus, I think, offer better protection, but I also understand that there is a point at which that protection is lost, the hydrodynamic wedge collapses. So it’s a balance between the two so I suppose that takes us back to the start and end of the article:
“Here's the bottom line when it comes to motor oils: you really cant go wrong by following the recommendations given in your owner's manual. Your motorcycle's maker has dyno-tested its engine with a crankcase full of the specified oil, or one with the same American Petroleum Institute (API) rating. You can be sure that particular oil will do the job” and “Keep in mind that your motorcycle was extensively tested with its cavities full of the lubricants specified by its maker. Motorcycle manufacturers dont test their models on oil specially compounded to keep engines, clutches, and transmissions happy, they instead do the sensible thing and design hardware compatible with the oils they know you'll be able to find. Its the smart thing to do, and it works right up to the point where you ignore their advice”

Which is fine for a standard bike but my handbook states 15w50 Shell Advace Ultra 4 and its imposible to get hold of ??????????