View Single Post
Old 28-Apr-2005, 22:01
Quickshifter

Hi Tim,

I read your post with interest and as always we take our customers views seriously. (Am I right in thinking that you are the gentleman who had a replacement day because your letter regarding the cancelled event on the 4th didn’t find you?).

The price for a T/D at Brands this year (post end of March Indy circuit) appears to be between £139.00 and £175.00, at the cheaper end of the market there is a difference of around £70.00 and at the top end about £35.00, when you consider what is laid on for participants on these events we believe the price for these days to be very fair. (£211.00 when booked online).
Whilst marketed as rider training ie a School, I do feel that to draw a comparison with the Californian Superbike School is maybe not the best analogy. ESS can and does run a ‘regimented’ system in the form of its Premier School events, indeed SPORTS Days are its siblings, but these events where designed to be more relaxed and a little less intimidating than the main stream products. We wanted to encourage more experienced rider to feel comfortable with coaching and for those new to circuit riding a safe environment, the hope is for a more varied group of riders then the Premier product tends to attract ( classrooms vary from event to event so a rider can return a number of times without repatition). When used correctly these events provide a wealth of information and instruction compared to a Track day but of course not as much as our Premier School (or any premium product), we hope the price reflects this void fairly.

You mentioned the classrooms were a ‘bit hit and miss’ and that ‘you weren’t really encouraged to attend’. In the briefing notes sent to you prior to the event it has a section marked Rider Clinics & Instruction and it states. “During the day there will be various classrooms and clinics, we recommend that you follow the itinerary (which is sent to you prior to the event and includes a description of the classes and their times), carefully to obtain the maximum out of your day and therefore not miss any sessions. Our School coaches will be taking up to a maximum of four pupils on circuit for set sessions. In addition to this we gave an announcement over the Tannoy for each classroom and track session, we appreciate that the system is not very good at BH, that’s why we supply a written itinerary.

On the subject of ‘promised instruction I feel you have a very valid point, due a very silly error involving the word ‘assumption’ the advanced groups as you quite rightly say did not get all or maybe even any of the tuition promised.
Both intermediate and experienced groups receive 3 X 20 minute instructed sessions followed a debriefing in a pre-designated area, Novices get four, in addition to that each group gets four classroom sessions on varying subjects. I have to concede that this did not happen for the advanced group and the blame for that lies entirely with ESS, but I do feel I need to make a couple of small points given the opportunity. The grid on which you assembled was 10-15 feet away from the garages where all instructors return and base themselves, a glance and a wave of the hand may have well seen this problem removed for all those that were unwittingly taking part including ourselves, whilst I accept your disappointment I do wish you had spoken to me on the day when I could have put the situation right. Alas that is not your job and we dropped the clanger but should you chose to return and there is something not right, please tell us right there and then.

In summary I can only apologise for that error, mistakes such as this are not a common theme and your replacement day should you chose to accept it will be without charge.

Regards
Tony Scott. ESS